Island beauty of Denmark
With 7,000km of coastline and over 400 islands, there are not many places in Denmark that are far from the sea. About 90 of the islands of Denmark are inhabited, the largest one being Zealand where Copenhagen is situated, nearer to Sweden than the rest of Denmark.
Some of the larger islands in Denmark are connected by bridges that seemed to defy physics. These engineering feats can stretch for 18km like the Great Belt Bridge which links Zealand to Funen. This is very important in uniting Denmark both socially and politically.
The master of fairytales
It would not be fair to talk about Denmark and not mention its most famous son – Hans Christian Andersen. Born in 1805 in Odense on the island of Funen, Hans Christian Andersen was inspired by the dark forests, stupendous castles and the foaming sea to create such classics as The Princess and the Pea, The Little Mermaid and The Ugly Duckling.
His influence is everywhere in the town not surprisingly, and you can learn more about the man behind the fairytales by visiting his house, which had become a museum as well as Fyrtojet, a newer museum dedicated more to children.
Other attractions in Denmark
One of the most stunning castles in Denmark is Egeskov Castle, set in the middle of a lake with gorgeous turrets and a pinkish glow. Each room is furnished to reflect eras of the castle’s 450 year old history plus there is a motor museum, children’s playground and maze.
On Zealand is Elsinore, made famous as being the setting for Hamlet, Shakespeare’s play about his Prince of Denmark. Kronberg Castle is where the main action of the play takes place and it still hosts an open air performance every summer.
For a typical Danish fishing port, take a look at Hornbaek near Elsinore on the northern coast. The beaches here stretch for miles and it is the starting point in June for the yearly yacht regatta around the island.
If Denmark strikes you as a great place to holiday, you will not be disappointed. There are so many places to explore in Denmark that it is best to catch a cheap flight with CheapTickets and spend a couple of weeks meandering through the countryside or living it up in the capital.
Practical information about Denmark
- Estimated Flight Distance: 5,482 miles / 8,822 km
- Estimated Flight Duration: 11 hrs 28 mins
- Major Airlines: Lufthansa, Aeroflot, Qatar Airways, SAS Scandinavian Airlines, Emirates, Swiss, KLM, Air France, Austrian Airlines, Finnair, among others.
- Nearby Airport(s): Departure from Hong Kong International Airport (HKG) / Arrival at Copenhagen Airport (CPH)
- Local Attractions: Tivoli Gardens (Copenhagen), Christiansborg Palace (Copenhagen), National Museum of Denmark (Copenhagen), The National Gallery of Denmark (Copenhagen), Nyhavn (Copenhagen), The Round Tower (Copenhagen), Lyngby Open-Air Museum (Frilandsmuseet) (Copenhagen), Kronborg Slot (Helsingør), etc.